June 16, 2011

It's Summertime! It's Jesus Time!!

Finally summer is here!! That makes me sooo happy! No papers or crazy deadlines! That takes a lot of stress off of me and that's always a  good thing :) Aside from the fact that I'm still going to work and taking a summer class, I think this summer is gonna be quite enjoyable!

Thing is, this summer I don't want it to be about me. Sure, I would absolutely love to go to the beach as often as I can (considering the fact that I have a seriously questionable farmer's tan), go on bike rides, chill and hang out with friends, any summer thing people do. But I feel it would be a waste. I'm here on this earth for such a short time, and that's if I live to 80- or 100-years-old! I could die today or even before the next semester starts! If that were to happen, would God be pleased with the way I spent my free time? I don't think going to the beach while having a blast and getting a tan would please Him. I mean sure, it's fine to have fun and there's nothing wrong with it, but since we are here for a greater purpose, I wouldn't want to sit around and have everything be about me. That's the last thing I want.

This summer, I want to sit down and read God's Word. I want to get to know my Lord and Savior better, day by day. I want to worship Him and acknowledge how amazing His love is for me. I want to be more like Him and for others to see the love of Jesus through me! That sure sounds like a much better summer plan to me! In the book of Philippians 3:7-10, Paul says that "whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ-the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith." These are words from a man that is in prison and is suffering for the sake of the Gospel and he STILL considers all the good things he had as a loss! How many of us have that attitude? That's the attitude I've been working on. And you know what? The more I get to know Christ, the more I have been seeing how the things this world offers me are pointless when I know Jesus!

So this summer, it's about pleasing and serving Christ in everything I do (as it should always be)! I want to spend time with Him and I want a chance to share the Gospel with someone this summer! I think it's going to be quite an amazing summer, don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment