February 27, 2011

One-on-One

   Sunday mornings are usually the same, bland routine for me every week. I wake up at 9:30, eat and get dressed, and then I'm out the door to go to church. I fellowship and talk with some friends for a while, do some singing, hear a message, and then go home. That's every week for me...and maybe it is for some of you too. I believe that if we continually get caught in this cycle of "going to church on Sunday mornings" and it begins to become some kind of tradition or normal routine (just like going to class during the week), we will get so numb to God as an amazing Creator and Father and He becomes just some "part" of our life. That's not how it should be. Church isn't about hanging out with friends, hearing an amazing band play, or listening to a very enticing (and sometimes humorous) message from the pastor. Don't get me wrong, we need to connect with fellow Christians and worship bands help lead us in worship (in the singing form), and pastors are supposed to teach from the Word. But in this day and age (especially in the American church) it becomes more of a show and social hangout than being a time to spend with our amazing and Almighty God!

   Today I wanted to step away from all of the programmatic aspects of Sunday morning church and just simply spend some one-on-one time with God myself. We were made to worship Him and what better way to do that than being in His creation, with His Word opened on my lap, and just talking to Him? It is amazing! I know I overuse that word, but what else can I really say? The inside of me can't begin to express externally my eternal love for God! So as I was sitting on a bench at the beach (at 8 this morning), I could just see and hear the waves crashing, birds flying by, small clouds in the air, and the sand between my toes. I took in the beauty of what was around and was absolutely astonished by God's greatness. We're always so busy nowadays with school, work, deadlines, finances and the like almost 24/7. Yet, we tend to only "sacrifice" 3 hours of our time with God on Sunday morning. He deserves much more than that for sure! Anything I do for Him never can fulfill what amount He truly deserves, but I can give all the time I can! Today, I just merely talked to God and read His Word and even read some other books that help with my Walk. It was just incredible and I would have loved to been there all day, but it got kinda hot, haha!

   I would love to actually do what I did this morning every Sunday, but of course I need to connect with other believers as well. But I think I'll do it quite often, perhaps every other week ;)
My love for Jesus grew more today and I don't want to limit that to only one time and continue with my life like nothing has changed. In fact, I'm not done today! I'm still gonna spend practically all of my day in my room, praying and reading His Word! I want to pursue Jesus, His Love, and the ministry every day of my life! I don't need anything else in this world, but Him alone!

Spend a one-on one time with Jesus today! You don't have to figure out what to read or pray, just talk to Him and read a passage in the Scriptures, even if it's something you've read many times! Ask Him to reveal something you never saw before in His Word and allow it to work through you! You won't regret it! In fact, you'll find yourself asking, "Why have I not been doing this before??" My prayer is that you who are reading this will experience the love of Christ the way it was meant to be experienced and responded to! :)


"Let the morning bring me word of Your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in You. Show me the way I should go for to You I lift up my soul." Psalm 143:8

"Satisfy us in the morning with Your unfailing love, that we may sing for joy and be glad all our days." Psalm 90:14

"On my bed I remember You; I think of You through the watches of the night." Psalm 63:6

"'Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in all the earth.'" Psalm 46:10

No comments:

Post a Comment